Thursday, October 22, 2009
PRESSURE
So what are you up to? Oh, nothing, you know, just trying to figure out my life... Yea, fine I may not technically be working full-time, but I still work - it's just personal instead of professional. Currently, there are two big to-do's on my list:
#1 Apply to grad school
#2 Get a job
#1 is bearing down on me the hardest; it seems the more I delve into programs, applications, options, the more work I uncover. My lazy self is recoiling at the thought of anything remotely difficult, while my logical self is pushing onward, even weighing the pros and cons of a PhD. I remember how burnt out I was by the time I was finishing university. I have a vivid memory from the fall of my senior year, sitting at my computer writing a final paper and thinking to myself how pointless it all was. How my papers, portfolios, and finals were all simply busy work merely to get a grade; letters were all that stood between me and a bachelor's degree. My school work seemed such an impartial judgement of me; I bemoaned the fact that a simple grade was what determined my academic (and seemingly personal) worth. As ridiculous as it may sound, when spring exams rolled around that year, I was more than happy to be in a hospital bed rather than on campus suffering through all the work (which if I thought was pointless in the fall, would've been an excruciating exercise for me in the spring!).
Now facing a masters degree, I can't help but wonder if I'm honestly ready for that again. More school. At the same time though, I've already been advised that apparently everyone in the art world has a PhD, so what was already a small, competitive field is even more so - time's a-wasting!
It's this constant push-and-pull. The comfortable vs. the uncomfortable. The known vs. the unknown. What I want to do and what I should do. I'm essentially trying to figure out my life in only a few months and it's hard!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
When I was looking at graduate school the first time around, I realized I didn't know what to write in the application essays about what I wanted/why I was applying....that told me that I wasn't ready yet and so I worked another year.
Do it on a time-frame / schedule that works for you. If you're forcing it, then you're probably right that at the moment you're not ready to go back and you won't enjoy it/get as much out of it as you could.
When I finally got back into the classroom it was pretty awesome and I was really glad to be there because I knew it was just what I wanted to study...
Those are my 2 cents. Gotta figure out if it's procrastination or something more ;-p
love you!
c. hits the nail on the head...
Grad school is all about passion - and WHEN it is the right time, you'll love being there. Your life's calling awaits - right time, right place. No need to force it - in fact, many believe that once you yield to the greater universal forces and allow your life, your relationships, your discoveries come to you, that's when it all happens.
Enjoy your internship. Enjoy the search for something to not only supplement, but also expose you to an additional circle. You'll be surprised Stephanie as to what will come to you.
I love you.
this sums up my comment (a picture says a 1,000 words right? cliche in action)
Post a Comment