Saturday, February 16, 2008

I Heart NY

So how about a recap of the weekend? I was in New York with the rest of my fam and despite a terrible start, it ended up being a really fantastic weekend. My mum and I were supposed to head down on Thursday, but of course thanks to me things fell a bit to the wayside... Long story short, in a rush to get on the train I fell backwards on the steps up to the platform and hit my head. We still made it on the train as one of the conductors saw me fall and helped me back up and get on the train and everything. He was amazingly helpful, got me a big bag of ice on the train and arranged everything for what eventually took place - transferring trains in New Haven to train it back up to Boston in order for me to get myself to Emerson Hospital for a CT scan. In December we found that I had a small blood clot in my lung so since then I've been on a blood thinner (which I conveniently have to give myself in the form of daily injections - hooray! ugh....) and because of that if I ever get injured I'm at risk for internal bleeding. Hence the call for a CT scan. My scan turned out completely normal though, totally clean, nothing to worry about; and it only took about two, maybe two and a half hours? So really it wasn't that bad.

So Friday, now with my father in tow, we prepared to fly ourselves down but the weather was not really agreeing with us. So we decided to drive at the last minute and made it to the city in four hours - not too bad! Kristen met us at my parents hotel with some dinner and then we split for our first night of big city entertainment. Kristen and Mum headed to the opera to see 'Carmen' which was "brilliant" with plenty of live animals and of course some excellent opera. My Dad and I headed to an off-Broadway show called "Altar Boys" about a Christian boy band which ended up being hilarious. Saturday kicked off with a delicious brunch at the Boathouse in Central Park which was both beautiful and delicious. I then met up with my dear friend Allie for a big catch up and spent the afternoon just relaxing with her. Then on to the main event! My parents, Kristen, and I bundled up and headed to Broadway for "The Little Mermaid". Ironically, the musical about fish made me feel like a fish - no, not a free fish swimming around in the big blue, but a sardine to be exact, packed too tightly into a sardine can. And that was me, I can't imagine how uncomfortable my dad must've been! The show was very cool and creatively done, but our seats were too high, too small, and there were way too many kids running around. So it was ironic how the big event of the weekend ended up being one of the worst parts, but whatever.

Sunday K & I met up with two of our girlfriends from home that also work in the city for the 'Sex and the City' bus tour which was really great. If you're a fan of the show, definitely do the tour! I rested afterwards, went to mass with the fam, and then we met up with another family from Groton for dinner at this great Indian place which was really fun. Monday was departure day, but before we left we checked out Kristen's new office which was very cool, and then we headed downtown for lunch at Chinatown Brasserie which was AMAZING. It was honestly the BEST, most fresh, most beautiful Chinese food I have ever had in my life. So after our incredible lunch the rentals and I just packed ourselves into the car and headed back up north to snowy Concord. All in all? An excellent weekend filled with fun activities, great friends, and amazing food. Except for the hitting my head part......

No comments: