I feel very official now. At work my ID badge has changed color: from 'volunteer' purple, to 'employee' white. I have an official Art Institute email, and I have my own computer that's all configured to me personally. I even have my own folder on our department's server... It's all very adult. I share an office, but my desk looks right out over Michigan Avenue!!
But yea, the job is good. It's pretty chaotic actually, which can be hard, but it's good for me in terms of just learning how to handle stress, how to handle myself when I'm under stress. It's all a learning process, every single day, and that's better than being bored, right?
I was asked the other day how I was feeling, fatigue-wise, and it was interesting because until the question was asked, I hadn't even thought about it. I was nervous going into it, not knowing whether I'd be able to handle working five days a week. I've never worked full time like this, and before, whether it was the Art Institute or Skinner, I never worked too many consecutive days, I always gave myself breaks in between to recover. So I had no idea how I was going to handle the straight five days, no breaks, no nothing, just work. I think I've adjusted though. I don't have any evidence of consecutive fatigue, and I'm on my third week already!
It's an interesting contrast though between the working week and the weekend. When I'm working, I'm so distracted and busy I barely give myself any real personal attention. I work, come home, eat dinner, and veg so as to totally decompress. But over the weekend, once the laundry's finished, once the groceries have been bought, the loneliness can start to creep in. Or at least that's when the self-reflection starts, the questions begin - when I have the time to think, I think.
But now I'm an adult, so it's back to work, back to the 9-5, and the thoughts slip away... at least for a little while.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
ah, and hence why it's very important to truly care about one's job. ;) welcome to adulthood.
(and, loneliness disappears in the face of fulfillment - why it's important to read awesome books, have regular dinners with friends, and take advantage of evening city activities like free lectures at the library, universities, cooking class, wine tastings, etc.) How different is it to look forward to a relaxing evening at home with a cup of tea and "Madame Bovary" (a personal favourite) or the like?
Enjoy the 9-5, because once you start grad school, you'll constantly have homework hanging over you. Speaking of which...
XO
Post a Comment