In applying to graduate programs, I'm proposing a big transition for myself - moving to the UK. The idea of moving to London has been on my mind for years now, something that always seemed like a fun adventure. But in filling out my applications and being forced to consider the realities of such a move, anxiety has reared its annoying head. If I do this, I won't be able to just call my family on a whim. I won't see them as much, and the quick trips to the east coast will become a thing of the past. And it's made me think, do I really want to move that far away? Do I want to be that much more out of touch? Not to mention the hassle of moving again, adjusting again, starting over again.
With these anxieties subtly weighing in the back of my mind, I flew to to the east coast this past weekend for the 90th birthday celebration of my great-uncle. The festivities included a photo montage of my great-uncle's long life, highlighting his hobbies, accomplishments, family, and travels. What struck me the most were his travel photos: black and white images of exotic locales, many of which I haven't seen, but would love to travel to. All of a sudden my questioning a move to the UK became absurd. Of course I should go. Because in the photo montage of my life, I want the travel section to be huge. I want my whole montage to be as rich and varied as can be. I want my life to be full of memories and experiences, and that's not going to come without some gusto. So to heck with the easy road, I'm not going to cop out on my own life. I'm lucky enough to have the potential of this opportunity, why not take it???
Monday, January 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
here here!
YOU GO, GIRL!!!
Would be great if we were both there at the same time - I am always up for an adventure and weekend trips across Europe:)
"I won't be able to just call my family on a whim"
Skype!
GO! ABSOLUTELY GO! Living in Europe would be an amazing experience and education aside, the travel options are endless! Chart your path...
I'm sad that our dream of sharing a flat won't be coming true.... or maybe I should reconsider my gap year and make it happen.... hmmm... tempting. very tempting.
Post a Comment