Monday, April 5, 2010

Port Begone!


Tomorrow's a big day: I'm having my port taken out! The procedure should be easy and relatively quick, but I can't say I'm not a little nervous about going to the hospital in the morning. It'll be interesting though. I've had this port in for two years now. And with the swell of steroids gradually wearing off, my port became more apparent, so I've had this obvious bump on my chest. But it won't be simply a physical change - there's a psychological piece too. My port is really the last remnant of my leukemia. Like being bald, or getting the steroid moon-face, this port was yet another item on the list of physical changes my body had to go through as a result of my cancer. And now, just as my hair has grown back and my body has shrunk, the port is finally coming out. For two years I've had this device implanted in my chest, I've been able to feel the bump of the port, trace the catheter going over my collar bone and into a vein. Even without the port though, my chest will remain the battlefield, with scars and pock marks marking the incisions, the ports, the tubes that helped me beat A.L.L. The port might be gone, but I of course will never forget.

5 comments:

kam said...

today's the big day! hope the early wake up call isn't too awful and good luck! XOXO (p.s. ask them again if you can have it in a jar - they might cave last minute ;) )

Lauren said...

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kam said...

when do we get the "after" pic? do I get to request a close-up of the stitches? I wish you'd had a camera to at least take a pic of the port even though they wouldn't let you keep it! UGH hindsight...

:-D

Chris D. said...

settle down doctor kristen. your sister is not a science experiment.

kam said...

hahaha fair enough Chris ;)