Thursday, January 1, 2009

My resolution? To be more resolute.

I've never been one to make New Years' resolutions, in fact I've never really been one to even set expectations for things. Why? I don't know, avoiding disappointment seems the most obvious excuse but I've never really cross examined myself to figure out why. I'm always much more in the present, focusing on what's immediately ahead - I prefer the suspense and surprise of the now than risk disappointment from any previously determined expectations. It's my own little loophole: I can't fail if I don't set myself up for it. At the same time though, what's success without failure? I remember from my Light the Night walk the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society provided numerous tips and strategies for fundraising. In their FAQs section they addressed the common anxiety people have of soliciting friends, family, etc. for donations. The LLS pointed out though, if you never ask, then the answer will ALWAYS be 'No'. So yea, maybe it was a little embarrassing asking people for money and shamelessly soliciting my friends and contacts, but you know what? Over $19,000 was raised in about a month for the LLS. And that was without any expectations.

So maybe I should make some resolutions beyond my last blog entry, start setting some expectations... 'If you build it, they will come,' right? Hmmm, what to build?!

No comments: