I'm in the midst of a job search, trying to find an income while ideally being able to keep my internship at the Art Institute. It's hard finding a job period, regardless of the further specifications that would be ideal for me. And beggars can't be choosers, right?
A lot of the advice is to follow my instincts, find the job that's really right for me, listen to my gut. But what if I don't know what my instincts are saying?! In networking and meeting various people, I've learned that it's all about being in the right place at the right time; a lot of it is chance; and sometimes simply positioning, just getting your foot in the door. Nothing solid has been offered, but even just the potential for opportunity induces more anxiety for me, which I feel like is not a good gut feeling to be having. I just don't know - is this the right place? Is this the right time? Every action has a reaction; I'm choosing a path - what if it's the wrong path?
In many respects, I'm getting ahead of myself. So I'm trying not to worry when for now, there isn't any choice to be made. But I'm getting old enough now that I'm seeing in my peers the results of their decisions, the paths that they are forging. It doesn't make me question my own choices, but I'm a witness to the repercussions of theirs, I'm seeing the consequences.
In a way, I think it's also kind of a cancer-thing. My perspective is much more grounded now; in having my own future questioned, it weighs far more heavily on me. For a time, choices were made for me, I had to leave things up to fate. Now that I have some of that control back, I know how valuable it is. And I don't want to take a misstep.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
A thought: Don't fear the wrong path. You'll learn exponentially more from a seemingly "wrong" decision than from making the "right" one right off the bat. And often enough, once you realise your misstep, you'll find the better option was in front of you the entire time.
No time or experience in your life will be wasted, Steph. You'll learn from it all. (We all are.)
XO
you might be tired of sport analogies but yogi berra who is a great human being (even if he is a yankee) said:
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
you're doing GREAT! LOVE Uncle Bill
Yogi also believed one should blaze their own path and not follow the crowds ... it went something like this: "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded"...
So ... don't hesitate to consider going where nobody else it going!
:)
Dad
Yogi also believed one should blaze their own path and not follow the crowds ... it went something like this: "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded"...
So ... don't hesitate to consider going where nobody else it going!
:)
Dad
Post a Comment