As much as I love being able to come home as often as I do, traveling always proves to be an interesting transition. Going back and forth between Chicago and Boston accentuates their differences, the contrasts between 'home' and..... not home? I guess in a way I'm in the beginning stages of 'home' becoming my own entity and not tied to my family. Because right now that's how I associate home: wherever the rest of my family is. But I guess eventually my home will be my own, independent of the rest of my family. Weird.
It's not just a shift in location either. It's also a shift in lifestyle. I switch from 'adult' to 'child'; from independence to dependence. And it's not always easy. To a degree, it's kind of like when you break up in a relationship with someone. It's inevitably awkward spending time with your ex after you break up because being together reminds you of all the little idiosyncrasies you shared when you were 'together'. Coming home from Chicago reminds me of this old life, where my responsibilities were less and in many ways my life was 'easier'. Even though I'm much happier and I know I'm better off where I am now, there's always a little bit of longing after enjoying a vacation at home and having to return to my working life.
I do think the transition is easing though... The more time I spend in Chicago the more I feel settled there, and the more I am excited to get back after being away. The true independence has begun.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment