Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It was an interesting day...


I'm attempting to figure out a good exercise routine and I've been looking into yoga and pilates. I've joined a gym with classes that I think will work out well, but I've been trying out different places in the area to find the best match. So yesterday morning I went to a class in West Concord that made me feel as if I was back in San Francisco..... back in the 60s! I knew it would be interesting as the instructor compared yogic breathing practices to LSD highs - "It was all about experimentation back then, so I experienced everything!" Class then began with some gentle sun salutations and as I was stretching I was forewarned that people last week apparently were passing out and/or throwing up, so I should "do whatever I need to do." After working through a few poses people were warming up and I heard the instructor, "Oh yes, take off whatever clothes you need." I took a glance around and a woman (I'm guessing mid-60s?) was in her bra! Had I walked into a nudist yoga studio?! She put her shirt back on once we finished with the inverted poses, but I was thrown for another loop as I noticed a sizable, weird looking bug dying a slow death at the edge of my mat while I lay in child's pose. Repeated moaning from all around also threw me a little - I understand the release, but I'm just not that uninhibited. The instructor's poodle lying in the corner made me feel bad that I left Scamp at home. And the place wasn't air conditioned - fine for what we were doing as it was a very relaxed class, but may be a little warm if I go to more intense classes or if they're not first thing in the morning. Oh, and after finishing our Indian chants of a couple 'oms' we then did an 'American chant' of "Row, row, row your boat" - and yes, even in canon.

I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll head back... The air conditioning thing, even though it may sound spoiled, really can be an issue as I get light-headed really easily. I may try another class just to get more of a sense of the variety the studio offers but I don't think I'll be going back next Tuesday morning....

No comments: