Friday, September 12, 2008

Good times

Despite the needles on Wednesday things are pretty good so far I'd say... I had my second ballet class on Thursday night which went well, despite the 14-year old who's spotting doing turns across the floor was better than mine! But oh well. It feels great to be getting back to my dance roots and even though my strength and flexibility aren't the same, my technique (in my humble opinion) is still there so I don't think I'm half bad. I'm also incorporating regular reiki sessions in conjunction with going into DF as Dana Farber has a whole center for alternative therapies for patients (like massage, acupuncture, yoga, other fitness stuff, all sorts of things really). So I'm feeling good lining these things up and getting more of a schedule/life back.

Tonight I have a friend coming up to visit from NYC for the weekend which I'm super excited about. She's only been to Boston once before and that was to see me in the hospital so I'm excited to show her around more (I mean, not that Brigham & Women's isn't the most scenic place in Boston but....). I'm excited for the nothings, the gossip, the sights, the food, and maybe even a little shopping thrown in... ; ) What can I say? My friends are pretty amazing! I know I've talked about feeling isolated at times, but, as with all emotions I guess, it goes in waves and so I guess I'm on a social upswing (not to mention a steroid boost thanks to my latest cycle starting this past week, ha!).

It's funny because just the other day I was reflecting on the more general transition of becoming an 'adult' and moving out of student life: new job, new social life, maybe a new city, the list goes on and on. I mean, where the heck was all this on the "Congratulations Graduate!" card?! I think they should put a major asterisk on those things saying 'you're now a pseudo-adult and you don't live with your friends anymore, or at least not like you used to. Prepare for confusion.' Just because you're not in college anymore doesn't mean you feel any different! Unless my diploma missed the magic adult-dust... I certainly didn't have any warnings - cancer aside - that it was going to be so different. At least in my experience, nobody told me how much harder socializing would be, that your friends are going to be a lot farther apart, a lot farther away. That it takes major effort to keep in touch with those who are far, and for those that are close it still takes coordination, timing, communication. It's hard for me and I'm unemployed! Here in the States everything is so far away - your friends, the grocery store, even my own mailbox is an eighth of a mile from the front door! Hahaha, obviously that's not the norm, but I'll give props to Bermuda here because there's so much more of a sense of community. Being smaller, you can run errands and run into who knows; you can go to events and know that you'll see familiar faces - heck, forget events, you can go anywhere, the movies, the street, a restaurant, and still see people. Maybe that's a little much for some, but (especially now) I wouldn't complain at all about hopping on my bike (my Runner I miss you!) and it taking me five minutes to get to the gym, or ten minutes to meet a friend for lunch.

Oh well. That's life I guess right? Wading through the mess that's thrown at you and figuring it out. Whether it's leukemia or the daily commute, we've all got our ish; slowly but surely we'll all make it through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i HATED graduating cause after the "congratulations" was "so what you doing to do now?" and i was so furious cause you just spent four years beating yourself to get to this point and you never ever got to enjoy it (in your case, you seriously didn't!) there is no manual. and i secretly feel like i'm still in 10th grade and don't feel like a "grown up", even though i pay rent, have a job, live on my "own" and have my own dog now. it's all an illusion. i'm still a teenager. what i'm trying to say is, you ain't alone honey. NONE of us have it figured out!