Monday, September 22, 2008

It's Official

It's Fall! I was driving around today and it's almost as if the leaves have turned overnight. Our house is on a brook so there's a marsh area just down the road from the driveway and driving by it today all around it is just bright red, a really gorgeous magenta actually. Leaves are starting to fall a little bit in the yard and a part of me is excited for sweater weather, but another part of me knows better. My bathroom looks out over the front yard and from there I can see the green grass and brown dirt dotted with yellow leaves that are falling from the surrounding trees, multiplying day by day. When I look out at all the green I can picture in my head what it looks like during the winter: white snow and brown trees. And that's it. I can remember the distinct longing I felt in the spring as I waited for the trees to blossom and then get their leaves. While the change of seasons is exciting, I'm painfully aware of how long the winter can last. The chill of night is extending a little further into each day. I know all too well the feeling of looking out those windows and wishing for flowers, wishing for sunlight, wishing for warmth, wishing for peonies.



I can't get ahead of myself yet though! I'm trying to savour it as much as I can, because it is truly gorgeous around here right now. Look around! If you're walking, if you're driving, whatever, look out and around - if I hadn't done that today I wouldn't have noticed that all of sudden, it's autumn! Fall's a-comin' and you don't want to miss it - take a walk, take a drive and enjoy it while it lasts. Flaming orange, dusky pinks, magentas, mauves, bright yellow - I guess the trees figure if they have to go they might as well go out with a bang!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding us all to "take time to SEE the leaves" and embrace the season, Stephanie!

XOXO

kam said...

dude, where are the real pictures of the real leaves that you actually saw? enough with google images! we have fast internet! your people have spoken!

Anonymous said...

Dear Stephanie,
What a beautiful picture you paint - a gift to all of us. I hear that great things are happening: a Happy Birthday coming, marked by a Light the Night walk, and a new job. I look forward to your upcoming blogs.
Love from the Vinci family.