Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Light it up!


Christine and I are just exhausted - things have gotten so busy! Of the many things going on right now I have some major news to report. This Thursday (yes, only two days from today) I am going to.......... drum roll please....... WALK. Yes, that's right fellow Adventurers, walk. But before you get all sarcastic on me and mock my feeble fitness, I'm not going on just any old walk. I'm walking two laps around the Boston Common to participate in Light the Night! Light the Night is a fundraising event for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, a group that I have begrudgingly come to know and love. The organizers actually invited me to participate since, you know, I am a SURVIVOR and all. This time last year I never would've imagined myself doing something like this - I'd have to take a nap after just walking a block! This walk should be a little over two miles and I'm not even concerned about walking that distance - last year, I would've been in a wheelchair. Light the Night is the perfect opportunity to mark my progress, not to mention it's a fantastic fundraiser for an incredible group! Oh, and did I mention Light the Night is ON MY BIRTHDAY ?!?!!! Yup, I'm turning 23 and I'm (almost) cancer-free!

The outpouring of support has been astounding. And that's putting it mildly. I signed on to the walk a little over a month ago. Since I knew it would be on my birthday I figured I'd set my fundraising goal for $2,300 since the walk is on my 23rd birthday. Want to know how much money has been raised?

OVER $11,000

I don't even know what to say. I can't think of an appropriately witty remark. All I can say is THANK YOU! I don't want to say "I've raised x amount" or take any credit for this amazing donation because I hardly did anything. I didn't raise the money, YOU did. All I've done is made light of a sucky situation and emailed people about it. It's not that big of a deal. YOU on the other hand, pooled together and are collectively donating more money than..... I don't even know. It's such an incredible amount I can't even think of something else to compare it to. And trust me, it makes a difference! How am I beating cancer? Because my doctor does amazing research thanks to funding that makes it possible for me to be treated on the latest and greatest protocol that was fine-tuned and approved the month before I was diagnosed. A month! How am I surviving two years of chemotherapy with hardly (comparatively) any nausea? Thanks to drugs that have been approved in only the last few years.

I could go on, but this is getting long (so long that apparently now I'm rhyming?! I think my brain is telling me to go to bed...)

But to sum up:
1). I'm doing Light the Night (lightthenight.org) which is a fundraiser for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and the walk is ON MY BIRTHDAY!!!

2). I know I'm supported by the most amazing, incredible, unbelievably generous people - YOU!!!!

3). Cancer sucks, so if you haven't already done so, DONATE!!!

http://www.active.com/donate/ltnbcom/2413_smidonLTN

http://www.active.com/donate/ltnbcom/2413_smidonLTN

http://www.active.com/donate/ltnbcom/2413_smidonLTN

And yea, I know I've been potentially overusing caps lock, but whatever, this is a big deal!!!

No comments: