Ahh sorry it's been a while - needless to say my lack of writing is pretty indicative of how unbelievably nice and relaxing and absolutely fantastic it is to be home! It is just so quiet. Which doesn't sound like it's that big of a deal, but compared to the hospital being home is just so peaceful. No one coming in to check my vitals, no one popping in to see if I'm ok, no intern teams to examine me, nothing. I'm in my own bed, I'm taking care of myself, I'm eating real food, and I'm able to just relax and really recover from everything. I've been feeling ok for the most part, but I'm definitely just generally fatigued and weak. It's funny how simple activities have become more difficult for me, like I can't really talk for extended periods of time. Which sounds totally ridiculous, but yesterday I had a lot of company over which was great, but it was interesting because I really found it difficult to carry a conversation for more than five minutes or so if I was the only one talking. I would just be telling a story or something and within five minutes literally be out of breath.
My friend Candace came over which was so nice to see her and we had some delicious banana pancakes for brunch. Even though obviously this whole situation hasn't been ideal, it's been great for reconnecting me with all my friends and family, and not even reconnecting per say but simply being in better touch with people and seeing them more often than I would otherwise. What's been nicest about getting visits from my friends is simply the sense of normalcy I gain, just seeing regular faces makes me feel more at home and normal. It's been really comforting for me and nice because just being with my girlfriends makes me feel more at ease, even if we're not necessarily doing anything, just reading magazines or something. It made me feel as if I was back at Georgetown just hanging out in the apartment rather than lying in a hospital bed.
After Candace left a handful of Kroks came out to visit which was great to see them (and the flowers they brought smell amazing! thanks guys!) It was great to hear how everyone was doing and two of the guys actually live in DC so again it was nice to sort of have a taste of home. I felt bad though because it was with them that I really noticed feeling weak and having difficulty talking and stuff. Luckily though my mom was there to keep things carrying on so it was fine. Lauren and Colin came by in the evening to hang out over dinner so that was fun too, and I rested up a bit in the afternoon so I wasn't too tired.
So it was a busy day, but a good one. The weather also has just been absolutely beautiful so it's been great being home and enjoying gorgeous scenery. A heck of a lot better than the pigeons that would poke around my hospital room window! And dear Scamp is back home as well so he's been taking excellent care of me. All in all, it's great to be home.
Sunday, May 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
awww i am happy to hear scamp is there! he will definitely keep you company in his cute furry little way. glad you have the comforts of home. miss you.
-ml x
Post a Comment