Monday, August 13, 2007

Beam Me Up Scotty....

Well, I'm not going to lie. It's been a rough week. The radiation itself has been fine and pretty easy, they're very efficient in the radiation-oncology department so it's been pretty hassle-free. By Friday though I was definitely feeling the general wear and tear of just going to the hospital everyday. It's been with times like these where it really does feel like this is my job. Even though it may not seem like much, just managing all the different doctors, appointments and myself.... gets exhausting after a while. Kristen came up on Thursday night so she took me in on Friday which was nice. After my radiation we went and saw 'Becoming Jane' which was highly enjoyable (especially with our delicious gourmet movie theater hot dogs....) Except later that night I had a dream I was doomed to be a spinster......

Haha, anyway, the weekend was a very welcome break from the radiation which I was definitely starting to feel energy-wise. It was also really really nice just to have two days of NOT having to go to the doctors. Kristen left Saturday night which was sad, but it was definitely great to have her up for a few days, just to get some variety in the house since I have become an incredibly boring person to hang around! I spent yesterday reading outside on the hammock which was really nice and cleaned my room a bit (but only a bit...) so it was a better day. My routine for the week has been very very VERY low-key, lots of food network on the living room couch, so it was nice to get out a little bit yesterday and just change things up a bit.

Today was a big day because I had my last radiation (HOORAY!!!) and I also had the last LP (spinal tap) of this cycle so I won't have another one for the next 18 weeks. Everything went fine today, albeit my LP was a little slower today which was kind of a pain, but not that big of a deal. I'm just supremely glad to have the bulk of this cycle over with. As I'm pretty sure I explained before, I've had eight days of radiation (weekends excluded) as well as four LPs along with that. So I started the whole cycle I guess two weeks ago this Wednesday with two kinds of chemo, chemo pills, and steroids. On Thursday I had the first LP and started radiation. Had radiation Friday, Monday plus a spinal tap, tuesday, wednesday, thursday plus a spinal tap, friday, and then my last dose today with a spinal tap. Keep in mind also I'm getting chemo with the LPs too. So it's been tough because my other cycles are usually I'm barraged with stuff the first week or so, my counts dip down and stuff, but then I recover in the last week or so. This cycle though has just been like constant chemo and radiation. And I'm actually going in for some more chemo on Wednesday... but that's different chemo that I'm not getting regularly every two weeks separate from my three week cycles.

But yea, so it's been pretty exhausting. And it's been tough too because I haven't been like extremely fatigued, but I'm really pretty low energy and just very unmotivated. So I feel bad for my dad because I must be the most boring person to have to live with... I literally just don't do anything. But so goes it. The radiation effects are often delayed too so this week I'm easily still going to be pretty tired and stuff... potentially even more so than I was this past week. But it's all just part of the deal... just managing myself, managing my side effects and symptoms and taking care of myself. The only way out is through, and so far I've got the bulk of this cycle done so... It definitely feels good to have today done with.

Did I mention my next cycle kicks off with a bone marrow biopsy???!!!!!! yessssiiiiii!

1 comment:

Ward said...

Hi Christine...

You might remember me, my name is Ward Young, married to Kim and we lived across the street from you on Lolly's Well Road. We also were in YPO with your Mum and Dad..anyway I have always felt there is a great symbiosis between our families and I felt compelled to leave a comment..

I am a cancer survivor, my was Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, and is closely related to your issue.

My treatment was different but some of the things you are going through just pressed a lot of buttons. For instance... the bone marrow procedure !!!! of all the stuff I went through I thought that was the SOB of procedures...I could not believe it !! anyway mine were clear as your's are..

Then I think of you and the Hickman, I never had one but one more treatment and the Hickman was going in ready or not..

I had my treatment at Boston University Hospital close to Dana Farber and the others, well I guess they are all close up there and all good, the best.

All our prayers, we think that you are very special.....

Thinking of you a lot

Love

Ward