Thursday, August 16, 2007

On the mend

Ahh Thursday... a day that I DON'T have to go to Dana Farber! After the past two weeks, that's a BIG deal for me. And the best part? I don't have to go until NEXT Wednesday! I have a week off, an entire week of no doctors appointments, nothing. Even though I finished my radiation and had my last LP on Monday, I was back at Dana Farber yesterday for what turned out to be almost the entire day. I was in for a type of chemo that I'm getting every two weeks for the next 30 weeks, but it turned out that I also needed a blood transfusion so it was an hour of chemo and then two hours of blood... Eww that sounds so disgusting and yet what I think is maybe more disturbing is that I actually don't think of it as a big deal at all. But I can totally see how to all my dedicated readers out there (and I know that there are just oh so many awaiting each new post with bated breath) that would sound so distrubing.... Reason #54387083451 my life/perspective has completely changed in the past few months.

The biggest reason I don't think it's that big of a deal is probably because of my Hickman line (you know, the tube I have sticking out of my chest? It's super sweet....) I mean, I'm getting my blood drawn ALL the time for obvious reasons and if I had to be getting stuck with a needle each week? Ugh I don't know what I would do.... My nurse was telling me about one of her patients who just had her Hickman removed after two years and how the first thing she thought she should do is go swimming. I don't know if I'll have mine in for the full two years, but I'm definitely going to have it I think at least for the first year.... I mean we'll see how it goes, but I don't see why I should have it taken out because it makes everything, my chemo, my transfusions, everything SO much easier. I mean, literally it's painless. Why would I trade that for weekly needles? My doctors yesterday were like, "oh well an experience like this will definitely get you over your needle phobia - after all those LPs? How could you not?" and I was like, "the LPs are in my back! I can't see those! Totally doesn't count." I mean whatever, maybe I'm being a baby, but still.....

Anyway, I'm rambling. But that's my basic update. Definitely looking forward to a week of 'freedom'... planning on hanging out on the hammock and trying not to over-exert myself. I know it's a tough life......

1 comment:

e said...

i think the hickman line rocks! i had to have needles in my hips every 4 hours for pain medication and it took a full two years for the feeling to come back into them! so, compared to you - i think the hickman line is the best thing ever! and remember, it'll go by quickly. you've made so much progress already - you're so incredible!
thinking of you and wishing i could swing in the hammock with you...
muah! xoxoxo
ps. go to our bdagirls group on facebook for a laugh - classic erika!! enjoy!!