Sunday, August 5, 2007

Lazy Sunday

So it's been a reasonably relaxing week. Had to head into Dana Farber on Wednesday for a big of a judgement day- I ended up starting the CNS phase of the consolodation that I'm in right now. I was hoping that my counts wouldn't have recovered enough since my last round of chemo because that would've given me another week to relax before starting my chemo. Most importantly, this weekend was CupMatch in Bermuda so I was really hoping to be able to make it down for the holiday and see everybody. In case you don't really remember, in my last cycle my counts didn't recover on schedule so I was delayed a week going into the hospital. However, this time around my counts bounced right back which obviously is good, but at the same time I was pretty disappointed that I wasn't able to go home, mostly just because I'm really not sure when the next time I'll go will be, and the summer now is winding down so not as many people will be down, etc. etc. But whatever, so goes it... I'll make it down eventually so I'm obviously looking forward to that, whenever it comes.

So yea, with my counts up I got to start my next 3 week cycle, which as I stated before is called my CNS therapy - CNS standing for 'central nervous system'. The cycle is focusing on attacking any cancer cells that could possibly be left in either my spine and/or my skull. Both your spine and skull are separated from the rest of the body by the blood/brain barrier which makes it harder for chemotherapy and other drugs to penetrate and kill them. Because of this, these two spots can become sort of like sanctuary spots for cancer cells, and a lot of ALL reoccurrences can happen through inefficient treatment of the CNS. So on Wednesday I got two kinds of chemo, as well as this other chemo that I'm regularly getting every two weeks. I also had a spinal tap with some chemo and that came back clear so so far so good.

Then Thursday I started my radiation which is targeting my skull. I do it over at the Brigham so it's a nice change from DF (and a little more efficient!). It's really pretty easy. I basically go into this room and I lie down on a table and they have this mask for me that goes over my face/head. When I had to stay in the hospital a couple of weeks ago they measured me for my mask and everything so I was all set to start this week. I lie down, then they put the mask on which can probably be best described as like the mask in 'Man in the Iron Mask'. It totally covers my face and head, pretty much up to past my ears so it covers the whole front half of my head. They strap the mask to the table, so it would definitely be intense if I was claustrophobic, but it's not too bad. Just a little nervewracking because you can't really talk as you can't move your jaw, and you can only breath through your nose, and you can't really see either - the mask is totally molded to my face, my mouth, my nose, my eyes, etc. so it's really pretty tight. But it only lasts for like, not even 5 minutes. The first time they had to do some x-rays, but then the second time they just blasted me on either side of my head and that was it. I can't really see what they're doing, obviously, but it seems like they just beam me on either side and that's all. And it's targeted, like there are lead plates that protect my eyes and appendages and stuff, it's not like they're doing my whole skull.

So yea, that's the radiation. I'm getting that for eight days, weekends excluded. And then I'm also doing steroids and chemo pills for a while, and I have to get three more spinal taps - monday, thursday, and then monday again. So it's an intense cycle, but it'll be good to get it over with. So far no major side effects, apparently though the radiation should make me pretty fatigued, and on a bit of a delay too. So maybe next week I won't be able to get out of bed, but for now I'm ok! I'll keep you updated on how it all goes....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds scary - surely you'll be able to handle anything after this whole experience - you're so brave!!!

Anonymous said...

even though sounds science fiction - it's so refreshing to know how you're doing, and that you're donig well. it's one of the best parts of my day reading your blog (when it's updated!) i'll call you sometime this week - i think i might have some gossip brewing..........MUAH!

kam said...

I think you should avoid saying things like "they blasted me" !!!!

you haven't emailed me back! wtf, mate?!

:-D